As many of you are aware, it is currently National Small Business Week in the US. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for supporting LanguageCorps for the past decade plus. From our humble beginnings eleven years ago, LanguageCorps has now helped thousands of people to Teach English Abroad.
When Jerry Patton founded the company in 2003, the idea was simple. Help talented people to teach English abroad. LanguageCorps’ MISSION has always been to offer participants a rewarding experience living in, working in, and learning about a new culture; affording them a unique opportunity to learn and apply new skills and challenging them to develop a wider, first-person perspective about the diversity of cultures and populations around the world.
Originally starting with programs in just a couple countries, the idea was set into motion. We’ve been learning as we go this entire time, and we are very proud to have become one of the leaders in the TESOL certification/teach abroad industry, with 23 different destinations in 21 countries throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America and The Middle East.
Extended travel is one of the best ways to become a more well rounded person and a better global citizen, but making the transition abroad comes with its own set of problems. Where to live? How to find work and make a living? How to meet people? It’s a lot to think about. An overwhelming amount for some people, which is why many never leave home in the first place. It’s just too much.
LanguageCorps has always striven to change that.
Our GOALS are to:
- Empower our Teachers with training and support, focusing on streamlining the process so our Teachers can focus on the experience of living as professionals abroad
- Challenge our Teachers to learn and apply new skills, while making real contributions to the success and well being of others in the world
- Help mitigate the risk often associated with living and working in a new part of the world, far from home – allowing our Teachers to enjoy a secure, rewarding adventure
- Work for our Teachers, not for the schools which employ them
- Facilitate the development of culturally responsive “citizen diplomats,” who appreciate different cultures, foster mutual respect, and encourage understanding among culturally diverse peoples
We know that our teachers place a lot of trust in us, and we are grateful that so many of you continue to choose LanguageCorps to start your adventure in teaching English abroad. I hope you continue to do so!